Since I started learning Hearthstone Battlegrounds, I spend a lot of time watching many of the popular streamers on Twitch. Since I started learning it didn’t take long for me to become aware of the “disconnect bug”, which allows you to restart your client on difficult turns to get access to some additional time. Some of the highest-rated streamers, however, were somehow able to reconnect to the game instantly, without restarting their client entirely.
Without being able to get a clear answer, a hidden-away youtube tutorial from a few months ago gave me some insight, though it was quite out of date with the recent Windows update & Hearthstone patches. As it turns out, it is actually quite simple to set up, if you are on Windows 10, here is how to get extra time to make decisions in Hearthstone Battlegrounds.
How to get extra time in Hearthstone Battlegrounds using Windows Defender
The setup for the “disconnect” bug is far simpler than I initially believed. Follow the following steps, and increase your Hearthstone Battlegrounds rating!
- Open the Windows Settings menu on your PC on the bottom-left of your screen.
- Search for “Control Panel” in the search box.
- Go to “System and Security”
- Locate “ Windows Defender Firewall” and select it.
- Select “Advanced Settings” on the menu on the left side.
Setting up Windows Defender to abuse the “Disconnect Bug” in Hearthstone Battlegrounds
- In the top left corner of the Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security menu, locate & select “Outbound Rules”.
- Create a “New Rule…” on the right side of the window.
- Follow the steps of the New Outbound Rule Wizard & select the following options:
- “Program” & select Next
- Choose a program path, this should lead to where the Hearthstone client is installed, and as such is different for everyone. Locate it and select it through the Browse option.
- After continuing by pressing “Next” you find yourself at the “Action” screen. Here, choose to “Block the connection”
- Profile: Select all three boxes for when the rule should apply. Selecting all options guarantees the skip works, wherever you may be playing Hearthstone on your PC.
- Now, for the final step, give the rule a name. The name can be anything you want, though it is advised you name it something related to Hearthstone to avoid confusion.
- Now, whenever you want to get additional time in a round of Hearthstone Battlegrounds, simply press “Enable Rule” on the right side of the Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security screen before the visual timer ends, and disable the rule when the round would have started.
- Warning! Do note the rule is on by default when first setting up! With the rule enabled you won’t be able to launch Hearthstone.
A one-time setup!
The Hearthstone Battlegrounds skip requires a one-time setup and works throughout Hearthstones game updates. The maximum achievable time with the use of the disconnection bug is over two minutes in the final rounds of the match. Use this time wisely, and improve your Hearthstone Battlegrounds rating!
Do you want to have your deck featured or work with AceGameGuides on creating strategic content? Email Arend@AceGameGuides.com and we’ll talk! For more of AceGameGuides, be sure to join the new discord!